Timekeepers across the university help maintain compliance with federal laws and regulations and ensure staff and faculty are paid on time. Timekeeping responsibilities include monitoring hours and supporting compliance with federal, state, and VCU policies and guidelines. VCU RealTime is the timekeeping management system used by employees and managers to record time, submit leave requests, approve overtime, etc. Time sheets are required to be approved by 10 a.m. on the published dates.
Learn about how to access and use VCU RealTime, the university's timekeeping management system, under HR Information Systems.
During the 2022-2023 Winter Closing, all employees (non-exempt/exempt) are required to use 16 hours (2 days) of eligible leave for Thursday, December 22, 2022 and Tuesday December 27, 2022. This is required in order to receive holiday pay for December 22, 2022 - January 2, 2023. It’s based on the DHRM Policy: 4.25 – Holidays.
Based on the Winter Closing (December 22, 2022 - January 2, 2022):
- If an employee (non-exempt/exempt) does not use leave or work on December 22, 2022, the employee will be docked from December 22, 2022 - December 23, 2022.
- If an employee (non-exempt/exempt) does not use leave or work on December 27, 2022, the employee will be docked for December 25, 2022 - January 2, 2023.
No leave used/no hours worked:
- If an employee does not submit leave or work the required 8 hours on December 22, 2022, then the timekeeper will adjust the holiday pay by zeroing out holiday-university closed for December 23, 2022.
- If an employee does not submit leave or work the required 8 hours on December 27, 2022, then the timekeeper will adjust the holiday pay by zeroing out holiday-university closed for December 26, 2022, and December 28, 2022 - January 2, 2023.
Hours worked/holiday leave accrued:
- The employee does not receive holiday leave accrued for working on December 22, 2022 or December 27, 2022. If they are non-exempt, the timekeeper will confirm the employee has entered hours worked in RealTime for the required days. If the employee is exempt, confirm with employee or supervisor that hours were worked and nothing will be entered in RealTime for those days. If the employee has worked some of the required days and used leave for some of the required days, confirm all hours worked and leave used in RealTime.
- If the employee was designated or approved to work on the days that were designated as holidays (December 23, December 26, December 28 - January 2), then the employee will receive holiday leave accrued. The timekeeper will confirm non-exempt employees have entered hours worked and will zero out holiday-university closed and add a segment for holiday leave accrued for hours worked (maximum of 8 hours). If the employee is exempt, once confirmed hours were worked, the timekeeper will then zero out holiday-university closed and add a segment for holiday leave accrued for each day worked.
Part-time employees (reduced FTE):
All part-time employees (reduced FTE) will receive holiday pay based on the FTE/reduced hours worked. The timekeeper will confirm that holiday pay was provided based on the percentage of the hours worked and that the required leave was entered based on hours per day. If docked, they are docked at a rate based on their FTE.
Example: If an employee has an FTE of .80 (80%), this means the employee works 6.40 hours each day. Holiday pay will be given as 6.40 for each day designated as a holiday. The employee is required to work or use 6.40 hours of leave for December 22, 2022 and December 27, 2022.
Leave with/without pay:
All employees on leave with pay must use leave for December 22, 2022 and December 27, 2022. All employees on leave without pay will be docked for the winter closing (December 22, 2022 - January 2, 2023).
All employees on FMLA during the winter closing (December 22, 2022 - January 2, 2023) will not accrue FMLA to count against FMLA entitlement for the 12 month roll back period. All short-term disability claims will be handled by the leave administration.
*All employees docked will not receive holiday pay for the days docked and based on the employee type, may not accrue leave for the pay period in which they were docked.
If you have additional questions, contact leave administration at 804-828-1712 or email firstname.lastname@example.org..
Manual timesheet (non-exempt classified)
Premium pay procedures (compensation)