Secondary Assignments for Faculty (Overload Jobs)
In general, only 9/10-month Teaching and Research (T&R) faculty are permitted to have a secondary assignment, subject to the restrictions noted below and with the required approvals. All secondary assignments must be initiated in writing using the Request for Secondary Assignment form for faculty, which requires approvals by the respective primary supervisor, dean/unit head and vice president (or president as applicable).
Nine- and 10-month Faculty: T&R faculty in 9/10-month appointments are not routinely permitted to hold secondary assignments during the course of the academic year. Nine- and 10-month faculty are permitted to have summer appointments.
The total compensation for all secondary assignments during the academic year and summer may not exceed 33.33 percent of the faculty member's 9/10-month contractual salary. As part of the approval process for a secondary assignment for 9/10-month faculty, the primary supervisor must certify that the work performed in the secondary assignment is not part of the faculty member's primary responsibilities and that the amount does not exceed 33.33 percent of the primary job's contractual salary.
T&R faculty in 12-month appointments are not routinely permitted to have a secondary assignment. Secondary assignments for 12-month faculty are only permitted where the faculty member's position is not supported by grant funding and where the secondary assignment meets all of the following criteria:
- The secondary assignment is for teaching duties only
- The secondary assignment occurs during the academic year (excluding summer and intersession)
- The teaching is outside the scope of the faculty member's regular responsibilities; and
- The compensation for teaching duties is paid at the standard rate for adjuncts in the respective school/college where the faculty member is teaching.
Any exceptions to the restrictions on secondary assignments for faculty require approval by the respective vice president (or president, as applicable) or designee.
The human resources professionals and administrators are responsible for ensuring that faculty comply with the applicable Secondary Assignment (Overload Jobs) Policy by ensuring that all secondary assignments are requested and approved using the applicable Secondary Assignment form. There is one form for faculty and one for employees with a primary adjunct job. Human resources professionals and administrators should ensure that all secondary assignments are within the salary limits as noted above and in compliance with the Secondary Assignment policy. The human resources professionals and administrators should submit all Secondary Assignment Request forms to the respective VP. For areas under the Provost, Secondary Assignment Request forms should be sent to the HR Administrator in the Office of Faculty Recruitment and Retention (OFRR) for approval prior to processing by HR. For areas under the VP for Health Sciences, Secondary Assignment Request forms should be sent to the Executive Director of HR in the Office of the VP for Health Sciences. Secondary assignments for summer and intersession instruction do not require a VP approval.
The human resources professionals and administratorsshould also be familiar with the policy on Outside Professional Activity, which is for faculty engaged in activities outside of VCU to persons or organizations external to the university, without university sponsorship, for the purpose of advancing, applying or transferring knowledge in a field of endeavor related to the faculty member's employment at the university. Such activity is beyond or in addition to the faculty member's university responsibilities; it generally occurs off-campus and requires only the time and special capabilities of the individual, without significant use of university facilities or supporting services.
- Outside Professional Activity and Employment, Research and Continuing Education
- Outside Professional Activity and Continuing Education, CP-1 form [PDF]
- Outside Professional Activity and Continuing Education, CP-2 form [PDF]
- You may also submit Outside Professional Activity electronically at opa.vcu.edu
- If you would like to submit outside professional activities online and are not setup for an account, please submit a Service Request ticket to application services at go.vcu.edu/webhelp and select OPA (Outside Professional Activities).