Helping an employee initiate a claim
- Report unsafe work conditions or safety hazards to the VCU Office of Environmental Health and Safety.
- Inform your employee to complete the VCU Accident Report and Physician Selection forms immediately.
- Complete in detail the supervisor's section of the VCU Accident Report form.
- Forward both completed forms to VCU Employee Health Services within 24 hours of accident.
Investigating the accident
- Investigate the accident promptly.
- Contact the Office of Environmental Health and Safety to assist in follow-up prevention efforts.
- Determine ways to prevent future accidents.
- Counsel employee on proper safety standards.
While the claim is open
- Communicate with employee on his/her progress and work modifications.
- Communicate with Workers' Compensation Office concerning employee's progress.
- Provide employee with the FMLA Request Form form to complete if injury or illness resulted in a "serious health condition" or he/she has missed more than 3 days from work.
- Ensure that employee follows work restrictions recommended by panel physician.
- Seek modified or transitional duty assignments if needed by employee.
Workers’ compensation claims management:
VCU Human Resources Workers’ Compensation Office, (804) 828-1533 or email@example.com.
Claim determination, medical authorizations, billing:
Managed Care Innovations (MCI), (804) 649-2288.
Medical issues, work restrictions:
Panel physician or Employee Health Services, (804) 828-0584.
Department timekeeper or VCU Human Resources Leave Administration, (804) 828-1712.